Android is the most popular mobile device OS with over 52.8% market share (according to comScore)
Google have published their 2014 Android Security Report. The report outlines the improvements made to Android, its security architecture and the report includes statistics relating to vulnerabilities relating to the Android OS.
Key points include
- Less than 0.15% of devices that only download from Google Play had potentially harmful applications (malware+adware+riskware)
- Less than 1% of all devices had PHA
- There are more infected devices in Russia
- Rooting tools are most common in China (~4%)
- On average, 0.5% of devices use rooting tools
- There is a marked growth in ransomware
Fortinet have a blog post which echos this findings and overlays them against its own vulnerability analysis garnered through its Fortiguard network.
The report goes to show the importance of solutions such as BYOD (Bring your own device) and MDM (mobile device management). Despite an enterprise having robust perimeter security and firewalls, stringent windows update policies and anti-virus – an organisation can be exposed through mobile devices.
MTG’s range of security solutions include MDM, Firewalls and BYOD services that can enhance and strengthen an enterprise mobile strategy.